All aircraft at Jodhpur Flying Club on display
Jodhpur: All the aircraft which the Jodhpur Air Force station has had since its inception as the Jodhpur Flying Club, were on Monday put on display at the Jodhpur Air Force Station, showcasing the full might of the Air Force.
`A Journey through Time: Tiger Moth to Sukhoi`, was a prelude to the upcoming exercise of the Indian Air Force on February 22, the `Iron Fist`.
Jodhpur Flying Club was the first institution to induct Tiger Moth aircraft in year 1932, the year the IAF was founded.
"This vintage aircraft has been fully restored by an aircraft restoration company in UK and will showcase IAF`s golden past at `Iron Fist-2013` at Pokhran," defence spokesperson SD Goswami said on Monday.
The De Havilland DH82 Tiger Moth was a two seat, single bay biplane powered by a 145 hp gypsy major four cylinder inverted air-cooled engine.
The primary trainer for the Royal Air Force during the second world war, it was the basic trainer in the Indian Air Force right from 1940.
Training schools in the IAF operated the Tiger Moth and later it was replaced by the HT-2.
Goswami said the story of IAF`s growth and development, from the nascent days to its present position as one of the largest Air Force in the world from Tiger Moth to its present size and shape, is a tribute to the vision, commitment and dedication of its men through the years.
The state-of-the-art Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft (best in the world in terms of lethality and precision) was inducted into the IAF, signalling the beginning of a new and dynamic phase in IAF`s ongoing modernisation process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan