`Cong to select candidates 2-months before Rajasthan Assembly polls`
Jaipur: Congress will declare its candidates for the upcoming Rajasthan Assembly elections at least two months in advance to provide them ample time for poll preparations, a senior party leader said on Tuesday.
The party will adopt a rigorous procedure, including discussions with grass root level workers, to finalise the 200 candidates for the assembly elections, newly appointed AICC general secretary and in-charge of party-affairs in Rajasthan, Gurudas Kamat told reporters here.
Referring to party`s `Chintan Shivir` held here early this year, Kamat said, "party vice president Rahul Gandhi has opined to give tickets to candidates about two months before the actual polling date so that they could have sufficient time for electioneering".
All India Congress Working Committee headed by Rahul Gandhi would fix criteria of candidates` selection for upcoming assembly polls in states, including Rajasthan, Kamat said.
"There is no fix quota for candidates` selection...Youth and women candidates having strong background in the party could be a better choice and would get priority", he said.
After witnessing overwhelmed response at Congress president Sonia Gandhi`s two recent visits in Suratgarh and Jayal, Kamat said,"Congress would return to power with thumping majority in the ensuing assembly polls in the leadership of Ashok Gehlot."
In a query over infighting issue, Kamat said there was no unrest in the party at any level, and the observers` meetings with the party workers and respective party MLAs in every assembly constituency were getting very well.
He claimed that Congress was not afraid of rival parties, including BJP by declaring its contestants two months in advance as in politics every equation or manipulation was imminent till the polling date.
Today`s meeting was attended by AICC general secretary C P Joshi, Union ministers Girija Vyas, Sachin Pilot, AICC members Juber Khan, Tarachand Bagora, MPs, MLAs, Kamat said.
Later, he also chaired a special session of Rajasthan Pradesh Mahila Congress in which the newly appointed president Shankuntala Rawat took oath of her office amid huge Gujjar women supporters at the party office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi