`Girls should not dance at weddings, use mobiles`
Udaipur: A panchayat in the district has asked families of the minority community against allowing girls to carry cellphones and prohibit them from dancing at wedding processions in public view.
Anjuman Muslim Panchayat in Salumbur town, 70 kms from here, issued the diktat at a meeting held a few days ago after some intercaste and love marriage cases in the community.
"We have asked the community families to not allow their girls to carry mobile phones outside homes. They can use it in front of their parents but not in schools or colleges so that they do not get involved with boys," Habiburrehman, the secretary of the community panchayat, said today.
"We are also against objectifying women so decided to ban their dance in wedding procession which is taken out in open on roads. However, there is no restriction inside their house and they can dance or sing in the function in the house," he said.
Justifying the decisions, he claimed the restrictions were necessary to maintain a secure environment in the community.
"It is for the safety and security of girls. There have been cases where girls and boys in our community did intercaste marriage. It is a serious trend and our community wants to ensure that no such happening reoccurs so the community panchayat took the decision," he said.
The panchayat was "not against" the freedom of women. "We promote them to get education but at the same time, we want to ensure that they follow and honour social arrangements also."
The panchayat has warned young people against love marriages as well and decided to impose a fine of Rs 51,000 on families if a boy or girl elopes or marries against the traditional social arrangements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price