Raj HC stays quota provided to Gurjars and EBCs
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court has stayed
the quota provided by the state government to Gurjars and
other economically-backward communities as it breached the 50
per cent limit set on reservations.
A division bench of Chief Justice Jagdish Bhalla and
justice M N Bhandari yesterday stayed the reservation given by
the state government to these communities as it exceeded the
50 per cent limit fixed for total reservation.
The order was passed on a letter petition filed by some
students of University of Rajasthan.
The division bench in the order observed that "we have
examined the letter in the light of the order of Supreme Court
in the light of Indra Shwayani`s judgement and find that the
reservation granted by the government to Gurjar community and
EBCs is not in consonance to the settled legal provisions and
hence the excess reservation is stayed".
The reservation granted by state government was 5 per
cent and 14 per cent to Gurjars and economically-backward
This reservation was in addition to the existing
reservation for the SC, ST and OBC communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'