Trains cancelled, highway blocked as Gujjars continue stir
Bayana (Rajasthan): Train and road traffic via Bharatpur district of Rajasthan was disrupted Saturday, the sixth day of the Gujjar agitation for reservation in jobs, officials said.
Thousands of train passengers were stranded while trucks lined up on the national highway to Jaipur. Train services between Agra and Jaipur via Bharatpur remained suspended, while many were diverted. Railway officials also said there had been some damage to the tracks on the section.
Meanwhile, tourism industry in Agra in Uttar Pradesh was counting its losses.
The golden triangle (Delhi-Jaipur-Agra route) was badly affected, president of the Agra Hotels and Restaurants Association Rakesh Chauhan said.
Tourism industry leaders expressed deep concern at the frightening prospect of another tourist season gone waste.
"This being the peak season, with thousands of domestic tourists taking advantage of the holidays, the agitation has badly hit the tourism sector," said Sandeep Arora, former president of the association.
Over 15,000 Gujjars began their agitation Monday, demanding five percent Gujjar reservation in state government jobs in Rajasthan. They are led by Gujjar Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti convener K.S. Bainsla.
Gujjars of Rajasthan had earlier staged violent protests between 2006 and 2008 in which many lives were lost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened