Uterus removal surgery issue: Rajasthan, Bihar gets NHRC notices
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission on Tuesday issued notices to Chief Secretaries of Rajasthan and Bihar governments over allegations of uterus removal surgeries conducted under Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY).
The Commission has asked the Chief Secretaries to submit their reports in four weeks.
It took suo motu cognisance of a media report that large number of hysterectomies are being carried out on unsuspecting women who visited the hospitals for minor ailments such as stomachache or menstrual problems in Bihar`s Samastipur district and Rajasthan`s Dausa district.
Hysterectomy costs the highest of all the procedures under RSBY, which entitles families below poverty line for free treatment up to Rs 30,000 a year. Therefore, some greedy doctors conduct the surgery to siphon off public money, NHRC quoted the media report.
According to media reports, of the 14,851 procedures conducted under RSBY between 2010 and 2012 in in Samastipur, 5,503 were hysterectomies.
It was also found that some hospitals simply swiped the RSBY cards and never conducted the procedures, an NHRC statement said.
In Dausa district of Rajasthan, many FIRs were lodged against the doctors.
The report also discloses collusion of private hospitals with the government health practitioners in rural health centres, who are promised commission on referrals. Reportedly, the employees at government hospitals even act as agents and take patients to private clinics, the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India