Kerala to prepare databank of marine ecosystem
Thiruvananthapuram: Claimed to be the first of its kind initiative in the country, a marine biodiversity map of Kerala's coastline is being prepared by the State Biodiversity Board to create a databank of marine ecosystems and traditional knowledge of the fisher folk community.
Rich marine flora and fauna, fish habitats and traditional knowledge of fishermen community of each coastal region are planned to be identified and recorded as part of the initiative.
A 20 km coastal stretch between Valiyathura and nearby Puthukurichy has already been completed in the first phase.
The procedure to map another 50 km stretch between Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam began here today, a top official said.
"Preparing a marine biodiversity map is the first of its kind initiative in the country. It is part of our biodiversity registry programme that we are preparing the map, " KSSB Chairman Ommen V Ommen said.
"With the support of local fishermen forums, we are trying to record all possible underwater ecosystems and fish habitats," he said.
In the initial phase, around 50 ecologically sensitive natural coral reefs and habitat of various rare underwater marine species had been identified in Valiyathura-Puthukurichy stretch, he said.
The Board would also record all traditional fishing techniques, fishing gear and hooks used, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 'Too much' or 'too little' sleep can raise diabetes risk in men
- 7th Pay Commission: No decision yet on increase in allowances; pay hike to be implemented from Jan 2016
- Ephedrine haul case: Accused gets threat not to turn approver
- Yo Yo Honey Singh battled bipolar disease, thanks doctor for treatment!