Kerala to prepare databank of marine ecosystem
Thiruvananthapuram: Claimed to be the first of its kind initiative in the country, a marine biodiversity map of Kerala's coastline is being prepared by the State Biodiversity Board to create a databank of marine ecosystems and traditional knowledge of the fisher folk community.
Rich marine flora and fauna, fish habitats and traditional knowledge of fishermen community of each coastal region are planned to be identified and recorded as part of the initiative.
A 20 km coastal stretch between Valiyathura and nearby Puthukurichy has already been completed in the first phase.
The procedure to map another 50 km stretch between Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam began here today, a top official said.
"Preparing a marine biodiversity map is the first of its kind initiative in the country. It is part of our biodiversity registry programme that we are preparing the map, " KSSB Chairman Ommen V Ommen said.
"With the support of local fishermen forums, we are trying to record all possible underwater ecosystems and fish habitats," he said.
In the initial phase, around 50 ecologically sensitive natural coral reefs and habitat of various rare underwater marine species had been identified in Valiyathura-Puthukurichy stretch, he said.
The Board would also record all traditional fishing techniques, fishing gear and hooks used, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!