2300-year-old mummy collar discovered in Egyptian tomb
New York: Archaeologists have unearthed pieces of a 2,300-year-old colourful collar, which was worn by a mummy, in an Egyptian tomb in Thebes.
Collars called "wesekhs" made of beads were worn by people in ancient Egypt.
The newly-discovered painted collar is made of a different type of material called cartonnage (a plastered material) and was meant to be worn by a mummy after death.
A clay seal found near the collar suggests that it was worn by the mummy of a wealthy undertaker.
Dating back around 2,300 years ago and found in modern-day Luxor, the collar is painted in a vivid array of colours, designs and images that show elements of ancient Egyptian religion, website `LiveScience` reported.
The tomb where the collar was found was originally built more than 3,300 years ago for a butler named Parennefer who served the pharaoh Akhenaten.
As time passed, more individuals (the precise number is unknown) were buried at the site, one of them being interred around 2,300 years ago with this colourful collar.
The re-use of tombs was a common practice in Thebes.
"I guess it was much more economical to use these old derelict tombs than to excavate out new tombs at that time," Susan Redford, of Penn State University, told the website.
She and her team found hundreds of cartonnage fragments in excavations at the site, the fragments that made up this collar being discovered in 2000 and 2002.
The team`s artist, Rupert Nesbitt, carefully put the collar back together again, along with several other coverings that belong to different mummies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview