Ancient Egyptians prepared expensive meat mummies for afterlife
Zee Media Bureau\Philaso G Kaping
Washington: Ancient Egyptians not only mummified their dead, they also mummified cuts of meat for the deceased to enjoy in the afterlife.
The interment of these “meat mummies” was quite common in ancient Egyptian burials but little was known about the treatment to preserve them.
According to a new study published by the Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, the mummification process was elaborate and expensive balm was used to coat the bandages.
A team of scientists from the University of Bristol and the American University in Cairo studied samples of goat, calf, duck and beef ribs from the Cairo Museum and British Museum. They found that different recipes were used for different meat mummies. But the most impressive find was the use of Pistacia resin, a very expensive substance rarely used in human mummification, to coat the beef ribs wraps.
The beef rib mummy is from the tomb of the parents of Queen Tiye, the wife of Pharaoh Amenhotep III.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?