Are we ready for making contact with extraterrestrial intelligence?
Washington: The Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is planning to actively send messages from Earth (Active SETI) to detect possible extraterrestrial civilizations.
The ethical and sociological implications of this proposal have been analyzed by the neuro-psychologist Gabriel G. de la Torre, professor at the University of Cadiz and participant in previous projects such as Mars 500 or space psychology topical team project financed by the European Space Agency.
The professor sent a questionnaire to 116 American, Italian and Spanish university students. The survey assessed their knowledge of astronomy, their level of perception of the physical environment, their opinion on the place that things occupy in the cosmos, as well as religious questions - for example, "do you believe that God created the universe?" - or on the likelihood of contact with extraterrestrials.
The results indicate that, as a species, humanity is still not ready for trying to actively contact a supposed extraterrestrial civilization, since people lack knowledge and preparation.
It was deduced from the questionnaires, which will soon be available to everyone on line, that university students and the rest of society lack awareness on many astronomical aspects, despite the enormous progress of science and technology.
It also revealed that the majority of people consider these subjects according to their religious belief and that they would rely on politicians in the event of a huge global-scale crisis having to be resolved.
The results have been published in the journal Acta Astronautica .
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah