Are we ready for making contact with extraterrestrial intelligence?
Washington: The Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is planning to actively send messages from Earth (Active SETI) to detect possible extraterrestrial civilizations.
The ethical and sociological implications of this proposal have been analyzed by the neuro-psychologist Gabriel G. de la Torre, professor at the University of Cadiz and participant in previous projects such as Mars 500 or space psychology topical team project financed by the European Space Agency.
The professor sent a questionnaire to 116 American, Italian and Spanish university students. The survey assessed their knowledge of astronomy, their level of perception of the physical environment, their opinion on the place that things occupy in the cosmos, as well as religious questions - for example, "do you believe that God created the universe?" - or on the likelihood of contact with extraterrestrials.
The results indicate that, as a species, humanity is still not ready for trying to actively contact a supposed extraterrestrial civilization, since people lack knowledge and preparation.
It was deduced from the questionnaires, which will soon be available to everyone on line, that university students and the rest of society lack awareness on many astronomical aspects, despite the enormous progress of science and technology.
It also revealed that the majority of people consider these subjects according to their religious belief and that they would rely on politicians in the event of a huge global-scale crisis having to be resolved.
The results have been published in the journal Acta Astronautica .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan, Bengaluru FC confirm knockout round berths
- Puducherry polls: AINRCs first list of 21 candidates includes CM Rangasamy
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll