Bug in mobile SIMs puts 500 million phones at mercy of hackers: Study
Washington: A recent study by cyber researchers has revealed that phones SIMs using old encryption technology, DES, make the devices vulnerable to attacks as they could be copied and controlled.
According to the Sky News, German firm Security Research Labs discovered the mobile bug in 500 million mobile phones as the DES encryption is used in one out of eight devices around the world.
The researchers said that the bug allows hackers to remotely gain control of and also clone certain mobile SIM cards.
Chief scientist who led the research team, Karsten Nohl, said that hacking only works on SIMs that use an old encryption technology known as DES and explained that once a hacker copies a SIM, it can be used to make calls and send text messages impersonating the owner of the phone.
Nohl further said that the hacker can do anything the normal phone users can do adding that if one has a MasterCard number or PayPal data on the phone, the hacker can get it.
The report added Nohl saying that mobile users in Africa could be among the most at risk because banking is widely done through mobile payment systems with credentials stored on SIMs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested