First full set of great ape genome sequenced
New York: Researchers have sequenced the most comprehensive catalogue of great-ape genome diversity ever, offering insight into the primate evolution.
The catalogue shows chimpanzees have a much more complex genetic history than humans, researchers said.
Researchers sequenced a total of 79 great apes, including chimpanzees, bonobos, eastern and western gorillas, orangutans and humans, as well as seven ape, a Science website reported.
The animals were wild- and captive-born individuals from populations in Africa and Southeast Asia.
"If we want to understand the genetic diversity of humans, we need to measure the genetic diversity of our nearest relatives," said study researcher Tomas Marques-Bonet, a geneticist at the Institut de Biologia Evolutiva in Spain.
The genetic history of chimpanzees turned out to be much more complex than that of humans. Compared with chimps, "it looks like our (humans`) history has been really simple," Marques-Bonet said.
Marques-Bonet said human populations encountered a bottleneck when they left Africa, and have since expanded to colonise the whole planet. By contrast, chimpanzee populations have undergone at least two to three bottlenecks and expansions.
Researchers said the findings also settle a hot debate over the relationships among the four chimpanzee subspecies Central chimpanzee, Western chimpanzee, Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee and Eastern chimpanzee.
"Now, we have the full genome for all four," Marques-Bonet said.
Rather than revealing four groups, the sequences show that all chimps divide into two major groups: a Nigeria-Cameroon/Western population and a Central/Eastern population.
The new findings don`t change humans` position in the great-ape evolutionary tree. Chimpanzees and bonobos remain humans` closest living relatives, splitting off from humanity about 5 million years ago, researchers said.
Humans` next-closest living relatives are gorillas, and orangutans are the most distantly related of the great apes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden