Large dogs age faster, die younger: Study
New York: Large dog breeds like the great danes apparently die younger because they age faster than small pups, like chihuahuas, a new study has claimed.
In dogs, large breeds often die young compared with smaller ones, with a 70kg Great Dane having an average life span of about 7 years, while a 4kg toy poodle can expect to live up to 14 years.
To shed light on the possible tradeoffs of large size, German researchers analysed ages at death in 74 breeds, using data from more than 56,000 dogs that visited veterinary teaching hospitals, LiveScience reported.
The researchers focused on why large dogs lived shorter lives on average.
"My main scientific interest is life-history evolution. I`m also a bit of a dog nerd in private life," said researcher Cornelia Kraus, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Gottingen in Germany.
The scientists found that large breeds apparently aged at faster rates; the speed at which the risk of death increased with age was greater with larger breeds than smaller ones.
Among dog breeds, an increase of 2 kg in body mass leads to a loss of approximately 1 month of life expectancy.
The researchers plan to follow the growth and health histories of a large number of dogs and pinpoint the leading causes of death for large dogs.
For instance, bigger canines apparently suffer from cancer more often, which could make sense; large dogs grow more than smaller breeds do, and cancer is rooted in abnormal cell growth.
"This research should be feasible in dogs, since I found that dog people in general seem very open, and interested to contribute to research on their favourite species," Kraus told the website.
The study was published in the journal American Naturalist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India