Large dogs age faster, die younger: Study
New York: Large dog breeds like the great danes apparently die younger because they age faster than small pups, like chihuahuas, a new study has claimed.
In dogs, large breeds often die young compared with smaller ones, with a 70kg Great Dane having an average life span of about 7 years, while a 4kg toy poodle can expect to live up to 14 years.
To shed light on the possible tradeoffs of large size, German researchers analysed ages at death in 74 breeds, using data from more than 56,000 dogs that visited veterinary teaching hospitals, LiveScience reported.
The researchers focused on why large dogs lived shorter lives on average.
"My main scientific interest is life-history evolution. I`m also a bit of a dog nerd in private life," said researcher Cornelia Kraus, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Gottingen in Germany.
The scientists found that large breeds apparently aged at faster rates; the speed at which the risk of death increased with age was greater with larger breeds than smaller ones.
Among dog breeds, an increase of 2 kg in body mass leads to a loss of approximately 1 month of life expectancy.
The researchers plan to follow the growth and health histories of a large number of dogs and pinpoint the leading causes of death for large dogs.
For instance, bigger canines apparently suffer from cancer more often, which could make sense; large dogs grow more than smaller breeds do, and cancer is rooted in abnormal cell growth.
"This research should be feasible in dogs, since I found that dog people in general seem very open, and interested to contribute to research on their favourite species," Kraus told the website.
The study was published in the journal American Naturalist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Dempo return to I-League with 3-1 win against Minerva
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside
- No touching! Operate Google's smartwatches just with hand gestures - Watch