Mummified royal relics don`t belong to Henry IV
Washington: A new research has revealed that forensic studies done by Spanish and French researchers erroneously ascribed a mummified head to Henry IV and blood on a handkerchief to Louis XVI.
Two purportedly royal relics recently surfaced on the collectors` market in France: a mummified head and a handkerchief with blood residues.
Spanish and French researchers had reported positive DNA matches.
Forensic identification specialist Professor Jean-Jacques Cassiman`s team from the University of Leuven in Belgium compared the published DNA results from the head and the blood in the handkerchief with DNA samples obtained from three surviving descendants of the house of Bourbon, progeny of Henry IV.
The genetic relationship between these three Bourbons, who come from different branches of the family line, is fixed on the basis of research carried out on the Y-chromosome. The DNA comparison found that there was no relationship between the Bourbons and the blood on the handkerchief, nor the mummified head.
Two breaks in the biological line on the paternal side would have had to occur in order for the head and the blood to belong to the two French kings.
Likewise, there was no evidence on the maternal side (based on the mitochondrial DNA testing) suggesting a positive identification of the relics. The mother of Henry IV, Jeanne III d`Albret, is related via Anna of Habsburg in an unbroken maternal line to the Habsburgs, including Marie-Antoinette and Louis XVII. Here, once again, there would have to have been at least one break in the maternal line for the head to belong to King Henry IV. The probability that one of the women in King Henry IV lineage was not the real mother of her daughter, or later of the king himself, is virtually non-existent.
Furthermore, DNA tests of the blood on the handkerchief show with 84.2 percent certainty that the blood belonged to a person who did not have blue eyes. It is known that King Louis XVI had blue eyes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal