New long-necked dinosaur discovered
Washington: A new sauropod dinosaur with extremely long neck and tail has been discovered in Argentina, the first-of-its-kind ever found in South America.
The dinosaur Leinkupal laticauda is a relative of Apatosaurus and Diplodocus dinosaurs, researchers said.
Diplodocids are part of a group of sauropod dinosaurs known for their large bodies, as well as extremely long necks and tails.
"The discovery of a new sauropod dinosaur species, Leinkupal laticauda, found in Argentina may be the first record of a diplodocid from South America and the youngest record of Diplodocidae in the world," according to research by Pablo Gallina and colleagues from the Fundacion Azara (Universidad Maimonides), and Museo E Bachmann, in Argentina.
Scientists identified the new diplodocid sauropod from the early Cretaceous period in Patagonia, Argentina - the first diplodocid sauropod discovered in South America.
Though the bones are fragmentary, scientists found differences between this species and other diplodocid species from North American and Africa in the vertebrae where the tail connects to the body.
These differences suggest to the research authors that it may warrant a new species name, Leinkupal laticauda.
Additionally, since Leinkupal laticauda apparently lived much later than its North American and African cousins, its existence suggests that the supposed extinction of the Diplodocidae around the end of the Jurassic or beginning of the Cretaceous period did not occur globally.
However, the clade survived in South America at least during part of the Early Cretaceous, researchers said.
The study was published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble