New `panic-free` steering device could help avoid accidents
Washington: A new type of steering device has been developed that could help prevent hazards like rear-end collisions and rollovers caused by panic oversteering.
Rene Guerster believes that his proposed technology, `computer-mediated steering,` already common in engine controls, will enable steering around a suddenly-appearing obstacle without hand-over-hand fumbling.
Guerster`s yoke-like device, currently in the concept stage, requires only a quarter turn in either direction from the straight-ahead position, enabling the driver to keep his or her hands in the same position on the device at all times.
A computer would record the degree to which the device is turned, the speed at which it is being turned, and the vehicle speed.
It would determine how far the front wheels should be turned and then turn them via an electric motor, whether the driver is parallel parking, performing a gentle lane-change manoeuvre at high speed, or turning suddenly to avoid a pedestrian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!