Rare dinosaur skeleton fetches 400,000 pounds at auction
London: An exceptionally rare full skeleton of a diplodocus dinosaur has sold for an eye-popping 400,000 pounds at an auction in the UK.
The 17 metre-long female Diplodocus skeleton, nicknamed `Misty`, is believed to be one of only six relatively complete specimens in the world.
The 150-million-year-old fossil carried an estimate of 400,000 to 600,000 pounds as it went under the hammer at Summers Place Auctions in West Sussex, yesterday.
Rupert van der Werff, from the auction house, said it was a "truly tremendous object".
"I`m absolutely thrilled. It has been an awful lot of work and a very exciting project, and to finally get to this final conclusion - we are delighted.
"I can`t tell you who bought it but it is going on public display," Werff was quoted as saying by `The BBC`.
The skeleton was discovered in 2009 in the US state of Wyoming by the children of famed German paleontologist Raimund Albersdoerfer.
It was then prepped at a leading fossil laboratory in Holland before being assembled in the UK.
Before the auction, the Natural History Museum, in London, said it would not be bidding for the dinosaur despite its own diplodocus only being a cast of one displayed in Pittsburgh.
That skeleton cast is itself made up of two different diplodocuses.
Diplodocus, one of the largest animals to have ever walked the Earth, was a large plant-eating dinosaur with tremendously elongated neck and a whip-like tail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH