Russian Navy develops mini submarines
Langkawai: Russian shipbuilders are developing new "super mini" submarines, the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) state holding company said Friday.
Work on the sea craft was in progress at the St. Petersburg-based Malakhit naval machine manufacturing bureau and that Navy command has been showing interest in the project, the company`s vice president Igor Zakharov said.
Alexander Terenov, an advisor to Malakhit`s general director, said the Project 865 Piranha submersible (NATO reporting name Losos) could go beyond just "hit and run" operations.
"They have a broad range of applications and can carry full-fledged missile and torpedo systems," Terenov said.
He said the Piranha could also be deployed for the protection of naval installations, and would be operated by small crews and cost little to maintain.
Piranha is a midget submarine designed for special operations and is almost completely silent. Only two Piranha-class submarines were reportedly ever built in Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'