This thin transistor may lead to flexible devices
Toronto: Engineers from the University of Alberta have invented a new thin-film transistor that may help manufacturers design flexible devices ranging from displays to medical imaging.
The team has explored new uses for Thin Film Transistors (TFT), commonly found in the display screens.
The researchers improved the performance of the existing transistor by designing a new architecture of it which takes advantage of a bipolar action -- that is use of electrons and the absence of electrons (referred to as "holes") to contribute to electrical output.
"We were able to construct a unique combination of semiconductor and insulating layers that allowed us to inject 'holes' at the Metal-Oxide Semiconductor (MOS) interface," said Gem Shoute, PhD student in the department of electrical and computer engineering and lead author.
Adding "holes" at the interface increased the chances of an electron "tunnelling" across a dielectric barrier. Through this phenomenon, a type of quantum tunnelling, "we were finally able to achieve a transistor that behaves like a bipolar transistor."
"It is actually the best performing [TFT] device of its kind-ever," added materials engineering professor Ken Cadien, co-author on the paper published in the journal Nature Communications.
Interestingly, the dimension of the device can be scaled in order to improve performance -- an advantage that modern TFTs lack.
The transistor has power-handling capabilities at least 10 times greater than commercially produced thin film transistors, the study said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics