Toilets to solve sanitation problem and generate electricity
New Delhi: A toilet which goes beyond solving sanitation problems and can be used to generate cooking gas and electricity is surely a bonus.
One such cheap and economically friendly toilet by Indian organisation Sulabh not only provides clean and proper sanitation both in urban and rural India but also generate electricity for small villages and cooking gas for households from human excreta.
"This organisation has converted 1.3 million bucket toilets into flush toilets and lakhs of scavengers have been freed from manual cleaning of human feces and shackles of untouchability," said Bindeshwar Pathak, founder of Sulabh International Social Service Organisation, a non-profit voluntary social organisation founded in 1970.
Participating in a "Toilet fair" held here recently, Pathak demonstrated a low cost toilet model which cost less than Rs 2000 for rural areas using locally available materials.
The Sulabh flush compost toilet is eco-friendly, technically appropriate, socio-culturally acceptable and economically affordable. It consists of a pan with a steep slope especially designed trap which requires 1 to 1.5 litres of water for flushing.
There are two pits of varying size and capacity of each pit is designed for 3 years` usage. In about two years, excreta in the pit get digested and are almost dry and pathogen free, thus safe for handling as manure.
"The Sulabh model has been adopted by a number of countries, including China, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania and Zambia for expansion and promotion of sanitation facilities," Pathak told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla