`Virtual head` could become personal assistant of future
London: A virtual "talking head" called Zoe expresses a range of human emotions and could one day be used as a personal assistant, scientists have claimed.
The disembodied head generates voice and facial expression from typed text but could be used as a digital personal assistant similar to Holly, the computer on the sci-fi comedy `Red Dwarf`.
The head is so lifelike that it is being used to teach children suffering from autism to recognise emotion and deaf children to lip-read.
Professor Roberto Cipolla, an engineer at Cambridge University , said that this technology could be the start of a whole new generation of interfaces which make interacting with a computer much more like talking to another human being.
The face is that of ` Hollyoaks` actress Zoe Lister, whose speech and facial expressions were recorded by researchers over several days, and then the face was super-imposed over a computer generated template.
In the future, it will be possible for all the users to upload their own faces and voices to create a personal digital assistant on their smartphone.
Zoe`s voice has six basic settings - happy, sad, tender, angry, afraid and neutral and users can adjust the settings to different levels, as well as changing the pitch, speed and depth of the voice itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees