Volcanic eruptions may have caused mass extinction 250 mn years ago
Washington: Researchers have suggested that the mass extinction at the end of the Permian period, about 250 million years ago, was triggered by contemporaneous volcanic eruptions in Siberia.
New results from a team including Director of Carnegie`s Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, Linda Elkins-Tanton, show that the atmospheric effects of these eruptions could have been devastating.
The volcanic activity was likely episodic, producing pulses of acid rain and ozone depletion. The team concluded that the resulting drastic fluctuations in pH and ultraviolet radiation, combined with an overall temperature increase from greenhouse gas emissions, could have contributed to the end-Permian mass extinction on land.
One leading candidate for the cause of this event is gas released from a large swath of volcanic rock in Russia called the Siberian Traps.
Using advanced 3-D modeling techniques, the team, led by Benjamin Black of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was able to predict the impacts of gas released from the Siberian Traps on the end-Permian atmosphere.
Their results indicate that volcanic releases of both carbon dioxide (CO2) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) could have created highly acidic rain, potentially leaching the soil of nutrients and damaging plants and other vulnerable terrestrial organisms. Releases of halogen-bearing compounds like methyl chloride could also have resulted in global ozone collapse.
The study has been published in journal Geology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Pak envoy Abdul Basit unfazed by LeT attack in J&K's Pampore, says 'let's enjoy Iftar party'
- Euro 2016: Italy`s Antonio Candreva to miss pre-quarters clash with Spain
- India has a very big infrastructure programme: Arun Jaitley
- Germany's Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with 'partner' Britain
- Sanjay Bangar, Abhay Sharma named as support staff to Indian cricket coach Anil Kumble