12 killed in Pakistan car bomb blast
Islamabad: A powerful car bomb went off in a crowded market on the outskirts of Peshawar city in northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing 12 people and injuring 14 more.
The explosives were planted in a pick-up truck that was parked at the market in Mattani area.
State-run Radio Pakistan reported that 12 people were killed and 14 injured by the blast.
The injured were taken to hospitals in Peshawar.
Officials at the Lady Reading Hospital said they a child was among the injured. They described the condition of six of the wounded as serious.
The pick-up truck was destroyed by the blast.
Footage on television showed the mangled remains of the vehicle. The powerful explosion damaged several cars and shops. The market was crowded at the time of the blast, witnesses said.
Police said over 40 kg of explosives were used in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
President Asif Ali Zardari condemned the blast and expressed sorrow at the loss of lives.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Governor Masood Kausar and Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti too condemned the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes