12 killed in Pakistan car bomb blast
Islamabad: A powerful car bomb went off in a crowded market on the outskirts of Peshawar city in northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing 12 people and injuring 14 more.
The explosives were planted in a pick-up truck that was parked at the market in Mattani area.
State-run Radio Pakistan reported that 12 people were killed and 14 injured by the blast.
The injured were taken to hospitals in Peshawar.
Officials at the Lady Reading Hospital said they a child was among the injured. They described the condition of six of the wounded as serious.
The pick-up truck was destroyed by the blast.
Footage on television showed the mangled remains of the vehicle. The powerful explosion damaged several cars and shops. The market was crowded at the time of the blast, witnesses said.
Police said over 40 kg of explosives were used in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
President Asif Ali Zardari condemned the blast and expressed sorrow at the loss of lives.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Governor Masood Kausar and Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti too condemned the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...