13 bodies recovered from Pakistan`s mass grave

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 14:46

Quetta: At least 13 unidentified decomposed bodies have been recovered from a mass grave in Pakistan`s restive Balochistan province.

Eleven bodies were brought to the District Headquarters Hospital yesterday, which were decomposed beyond recognition, like the two discovered on Saturday, said medics.

Vultures and crows hovering over the area had attracted the attention of locals to the desolate area who informed the administration about what they suspected to be a mass grave.
The mass grave was discovered in Tutak area, about 50 kilometres from Khuzdar, and it is feared that many more bodies may be in there.

A total of 13 bodies have been recovered so far, Express Tribune daily reported today.

"There could be more bodies in the grave. We saw human remains," an official told the daily on the condition of anonymity.
It was not known who had killed the people but relatives of missing persons fear the bodies could be of their loved ones, according to media reports.

Assistant Commissioner of Khuzdar district Afzal Sarpara told reporters on Sunday the grave contained an unspecified number of bodies, most of which were decomposed and beyond recognition.

"They appear to be a month old," he said.

Deputy Commissioner of Khuzdar Waheed Shah said the Balochistan Levies resumed digging of the grave yesterday.

"DNA tests will help us identify the bodies," he added.

Separately, Provincial Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti denied media reports claiming that dozens of bodies were found in the mass grave.

"An investigation is ongoing and the facts will be shared with public soon," he said.

Meanwhile, the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan expressed serious concerns over the grisly discovery and demanded an immediate and impartial inquiry.

Khuzdar has been the worst-hit district in Balochistan, wrecked by violence from separatists and militants, and the situation has forced several families to migrate from the area.

The issue of missing persons in the province has been taken up at the Balochistan High Court and the Supreme Court.

PTI

First Published: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 14:46

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus