2004 grenade attack was conspiracy to kill Hasina
Dhaka: The grenade attack on Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina in 2004 was a conspiracy to kill her
using banned Harkatul Jihad (HuJI) which was hatched by
opposition BNP leaders at the office of party chief Khaleda
Zia`s son, according to a media report here today.
The `Daily Star` in an investigative report said the
"chilling conspiracy" to kill Hasina was hatched at Hawa
Bhaban, the office of Zia`s elder son Tarique Rahman.
"On August 14, 2004 nine people sat at Hawa Bhaban to
discuss a recommendation coming from a series of meetings in
the past where Hasina`s Awami League was branded as the
archenemy for the country and Islam and it was recommended
that she must die.
"(The then Junior Home Minister) Litfuzzaman Babar,
deputy minister Abdus Salam Pintu, Prime Minister`s political
secretary Harris Chowdhury, a fugitive killer of Sheikh
Mujibur Rahman, a top Jamaat-e-Islami leader, two Huji
founders and a leader of Al Markajul Islami found no reason to
disagree," it said.
On August 15, the same group sat again at the same
venue to fix the way to accomplish the mission when the
"fugitive killer suggested Hasina be attacked at her home, on
road or at a rally".
"They settled for a rally, just six days away . . .
Now it was time they chose weapons. `Grenades are no problem,`
said Babar," the report claimed.
Hasina narrowly escaped with injuries in the attack
at a party rally in Dhaka but 24 people were killed crippled
nearly 400 others in the assault.
The Daily Star said the report was based on a "highly
privileged document" it obtained and information collected by
a reporter from investigators and intelligence officials.
Today`s report comes three months after a court
ordered a fresh probe into the grenade attack.
After the attack, Babar had declared a Taka 1 crore
reward for disclosing the names of the people or groups
responsible saying that "the government has decided to
announce the reward since it gives highest priority to the
An investigation was earlier conducted under the
direct supervision of Babar and 20 people including a
vagabond, a student and an Awami League activist were arrested
but none of them were found guilty in the subsequent
The report came as Criminal Investigation Department
yesterday sought to remand Babar, already behind bars for the
August 21, 2004 grenade attack on Hasina, in custody for 10
days under a court order for interrogation.
"We have got vital information and evidence regarding
his involvement in the August 21 grenade attack following the
confessional statements of some other suspects," CID
superintendent Abdul Kahhar Akand told newsmen yesterday.
Babar is currently serving 17 years of imprisonment
for possessing weapons illegally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA