26/11 trial: Pak court adjourns trial of Lakhvi, others
Islamabad: A Pakistani anti-terror court on Saturday adjourned for a week the trial of seven men, including Lashker-e-Toiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, accused of involvement in the Mumbai attacks as an application filed by them is pending with the Lahore High Court.
Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan of the anti-terror court was to begin recording evidence against the accused but adjourned the matter till January 23 in view of an application filed by Lakhvi in the Lahore High Court seeking the transfer of the case to another court.
"The case was adjourned as the transfer application filed by the accused is pending with the Lahore High Court," Shahbaz Rajput, a lawyer for some of the accused, said.
The trial is being conducted at the high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi due to security concerns. At the last hearing on January 6, Judge Awan rejected applications seeking the acquittal of the seven suspects. The court had then directed the prosecution to present evidence against the accused at today`s hearing.
On January 12, Lakhvi filed an application in the Lahore High Court seeking the transfer of the case from Rawalpindi to an anti-terror court in Lahore due to a purported threat to his life.
Lakhvi`s lawyer Khwaja Sultan contended that the LeT commander purportedly faced a threat to his life as a number of agents of the Indian spy agency Research and Analyses Wing were present in Rawalpindi. Lakhvi also complained that authorities at Adiala Jail, where he is currently being held, were not allowing him to meet his lawyer.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja Muhammad Sharif, who heard the application, issued notices to the federal Interior Secretary, Attorney General and Advocate General of Punjab province to respond to Lakhvi’s plea at the next hearing on January 21.
The seven accused -- Lakhvi, Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum -- were last year formally charged with planning and helping execute the assault on India’s financial hub in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly