450 militants killed in Waziristan offensive: Pak Army
Islamabad: Pakistan Army`s offensive
against the Taliban in South Waziristan is moving along ahead
of schedule as security forces have killed around 450
militants and captured several key rebel bases, chief military
spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas said today.
Operation Rah-e-Nijat (Path to Salvation) is "going
well ahead of time and the terrorists are on the run", Abbas
Sararogha, once seen as the operational base of the
Taliban, has been cleared and troops had entered Makeen,
another important headquarters of the militants, he said.
Around 450 militants have been killed and many others
arrested while 42 soldiers, including officers, had lost their
lives in the fighting, Abbas said in an interview with Radio
Another 142 soldiers had been injured. "Most
importantly, we are enjoying not only the support of the
masses but that of the tribes as well. Our real target is to
free the Mehsud tribe from the claws of the terrorist
organisation so that they can lead their lives according to
their customs," Abbas said.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud, who
is believed to be in the lawless South Waziristan region,
belongs to the Mehsud tribe.
Despite the government`s efforts, the Mehsud tribe has
not risen in revolt against the Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees