67 held in Karachi security operation
Islamabad: As many as 67 people, including three women robbers, have been arrested within two days in Pakistan as part of an ongoing targetted operation launched in the port city of Karachi.
A total of 36 people, including the women robbers, were held by Pakistan Rangers Saturday alone during the operation, Xinhua reported.
The drive was launched early Friday against terrorists, target killers, kidnappers, and extortionists following a special cabinet meet, presided by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Wednesday.
It was approved to commence a targetted operation to address the deteriorating law and order situation in Karachi, a business hub of the country.
On Saturday, Pakistan Rangers claimed to have arrested 29 people from the city`s Orangi Town and seven from a plaza in Gulberg Town, pushing the tally of arrested people to 67 within two days, local media said.
Rangers along with police personnel Friday had conducted sudden raids at certain places in more than six areas and arrested 31 people including target killers, extortionists, drug dealers and kidnappers.
Interior Minister Nisar Ali Khan earlier told media that 450 criminals had been identified in the intelligence reports and action would be taken against them and their aides.
Official reports say that dozens of leading businessmen have shifted their business and families to other countries due to insecurity in the city.
A joint investigation report by the intelligence agencies revealed that most of the killings take place as the result of political, religious and ethnic confrontation between various rival groups and mafias in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’