71% Afghans favour India, 2% Pak: Opinion poll
New Delhi: Reflecting tremendous goodwill of its soft power in Afghanistan, India has been voted as the most favoured country, getting 71 per cent votes in an opinion poll there while Pakistan was viewed favourably by a meagre 2 per cent of the people.
The poll, commissioned by BBC, American Broadcasting
Company (ABC) and German Broadcasting company ARD, showed
India was way ahead of all other countries, including the US
which is leading the war against terror there.
In the poll conducted between December 11 and 23 last
year, Germany polled 59 per cent and stood at second spot. The
US came third with 51 per cent polls, Iran followed with
50 per cent votes and Britain got 39 per cent.
Pakistan managed only two per cent votes, according to
the survey conduced by Kabul-based Afghan Centre for
Socio-Economic Opinion Research (ACSOR).
The vote in favour of India is seen as a reflection of
the goodwill because of the developmental activities
undertaken by it on a large scale in the war-ravaged country.
India has developmental assistance programmes to the
tune of USD 1.3 billion that covers road construction,
healthcare, power sector and across-the-board capacity
building in Afghanistan.
The results echoed the findings of a gallup survey of
Afghanistan released in November in which 56 per cent of the
people voted for India when asked which group or country
played the best role in resolving the situation in
In fact, India surpassed even the UN and NATO by a per
cent in this regard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!