8 Pak soldiers killed in Taliban ambush
Peshawar: Taliban, in a sudden upsurge of
violence, carried out ambushes on Pakistani forces near the
Afghan border killing eight soldiers even as a suicide bomber
hit a police station in nearby lawless South Waziristan.
The ambush by Taliban near check points in troubled
Aurakzai tribal region triggered running gunbattles in which
nine militants were also killed and security forces nabbed 62
others during the operations over the past two days, officials
The Taliban upsurge came after a brief lull and
security officials suspect that large number of militants had
taken shelter in the area after fleeing the army advance in
Eight soldiers were killed and two injured while
repulsing an assault by a group of militants on a security
check post in Chapri Feroz Khel area of Aurakzai Agency.
In retaliation, security forces shot dead nine
militants and arrested 22 others during a search operation in
Khewdad Khel area. Two security personnel were also injured in
the shootout, officials said.
Meanwhile, a suicide bomber struck a police station in
Tank district near the lawless South Waziristan tribal region,
killing a boy and injuring three others.
The bomber targeted the police station in Gomal,
located 20 km from Tank city on the road to South Waziristan,
police said, adding the boy who was passing by the area was
killed and three others were injured.
The police station collapsed due to the blast and
officials said they feared the toll could rise as the rubble
was still being cleared.
Forty more militants have been arrested in operations
conducted during the past two days. The arrested militants
were and taken to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015