8 Pak soldiers killed in Taliban ambush
Peshawar: Taliban, in a sudden upsurge of
violence, carried out ambushes on Pakistani forces near the
Afghan border killing eight soldiers even as a suicide bomber
hit a police station in nearby lawless South Waziristan.
The ambush by Taliban near check points in troubled
Aurakzai tribal region triggered running gunbattles in which
nine militants were also killed and security forces nabbed 62
others during the operations over the past two days, officials
The Taliban upsurge came after a brief lull and
security officials suspect that large number of militants had
taken shelter in the area after fleeing the army advance in
Eight soldiers were killed and two injured while
repulsing an assault by a group of militants on a security
check post in Chapri Feroz Khel area of Aurakzai Agency.
In retaliation, security forces shot dead nine
militants and arrested 22 others during a search operation in
Khewdad Khel area. Two security personnel were also injured in
the shootout, officials said.
Meanwhile, a suicide bomber struck a police station in
Tank district near the lawless South Waziristan tribal region,
killing a boy and injuring three others.
The bomber targeted the police station in Gomal,
located 20 km from Tank city on the road to South Waziristan,
police said, adding the boy who was passing by the area was
killed and three others were injured.
The police station collapsed due to the blast and
officials said they feared the toll could rise as the rubble
was still being cleared.
Forty more militants have been arrested in operations
conducted during the past two days. The arrested militants
were and taken to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive