A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio drops
Islamabad: Pakistan will administer anti-polio vaccine to nearly one million children in the militancy-hit tribal regions during a three-day national immunization campaign starting Monday, said officials.
Janbaz Afridi, deputy director of the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) in northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, said 11 polio cases have been reported in FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) this year, reported Xinhua.
Polio cases in tribal regions and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province have raised concern among local and foreign health officials despite a lot of money being spent on the immunization programme in Pakistan.
Officials said that nine polio cases have been detected in Khyber tribal region and one each from North Waziristan and South Waziristan Agencies.
The polio vaccination campaign was launched nearly two weeks after the Taliban group in North Waziristan announced ban on polio vaccination campaign to protest the US drone strikes.
Officials say that the Taliban ban will deprive thousands of children in North Waziristan, a main stronghold of the militants.
"We have completed all arrangements for successful holding of a three-day anti-polio campaign across the province and Federally Administered Tribal Areas," Afridi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state