`Action against Musharraf after obtaining concrete evidence`
Islamabad: Action will be taken against
former President Pervez Musharraf after concrete evidence is
obtained with regard to a UN panel`s finding that his regime
did not provide adequate security to former premier Benazir
Bhutto, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Monday.
He also blamed the former government of Punjab
province for failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto.
"We welcome the UN (commission`s) report because it is
independent and transparent. The people already knew what the
commission has pointed out," Malik told reporters outside the
"It is the people`s wish that the killers of (Bhutto)
should be arrested. This is also our endeavour and it will be
done," he added.
The independent UN commission that probed the facts
and circumstances of Bhutto`s assassination has indicted
Musharraf`s regime for "failing" to provide effective security
to her despite numerous threats to her life.
The panel`s report also found several faults with the
probe by Pakistani authorities into the assassination in a
gun-and-suicide attack on December 27, 2007.
Malik said a Pakistan investigation team will further
probe Bhutto`s assassination in the light of the UN
The panel clearly mentioned in its report that
Musharraf`s government and security institutions were
unsuccessful in providing security to Bhutto, he said.
Blaming the Pakistan People`s Party for not providing
security to Bhutto is irrelevant because security is the
responsibility of the government and not party workers, he
The UN panel`s report accused intelligence agencies
and some officials of hampering its investigation into the
It also raised questions about Malik`s role in
providing security to Bhutto.
Meanwhile, a media report quoted sources in the PPP as
saying that an FIR would be registered by the party against
Musharraf, seven civil and police officials who have been
removed from their posts and some PPP leaders who were held
responsible for Bhutto`s security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 11-year-old blood cancer patient seeks help from PM Narendra Modi, CM Akhilesh Yadav
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 up for grabs in first flash sale today
- With Facebook's new Slideshow feature, convert your photos into mini-movies!- Watch
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here