Afghan commission postpones Parliamentary Election
Kabul: Afghanistan`s independent election commission has confirmed it is postponing Parliamentary Election until the fall due to a lack of funding, security concerns and logistical challenges.
Commissioner Fazel Ahmed Manawi also told reporters on Sunday the delay will allow time for electoral reforms — a move likely to please Western countries pressing for changes after a fraud-marred Presidential Election.
Manawi says the vote, which had been scheduled for May 22, will be held on September 18 instead.
US lawmakers and other critics had pressed for a delay in the wake of last August`s disputed Presidential Election, warning that holding the vote without substantive electoral reform could undermine support for US aid to Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?