Afghan Taliban threatens mining companies: Monitor
Washington: The Taliban in Afghanistan has
threatened foreign companies hoping to extract newly-disclosed
mineral wealth in the poverty-wracked country, a group
monitoring its communications reported.
Claiming the government of President Hamid Karzai is
illegitimate and does not represent the Afghan people, the
Taliban said the administration has no right to issue minerals
Any mining company working in Afghanistan will become a
target and the government "will have no opportunity when it
comes to providing security for those companies` workers and
staff," according to US-based monitoring group SITE.
The Taliban further promises that "any party which enters
into contract to extract natural minerals and which signs a
deal with the corrupt administration, is renounced and is and
will be treated as an `apostate entity` by the Islamic emirate
and the Afghan people."
The mineral wealth of Afghanistan has remained largely
unexploited because the country has been mired in conflict for
three decades and is today embroiled in an insurgency by
Islamist militants led by the Taliban.
But the government has said the findings of a recently
completed US geological survey could transform Afghanistan
from one of the world`s most impoverished nations to one of
the richest, with up to three trillion dollars in mineral
Current minister of mines Wahidullah Shahrani on Friday
promised total transparency in the awarding of contracts to
exploit the country`s mineral wealth during a trip to London
to woo foreign investment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'