Amartya Sen denies having made remarks on Grameen Bank founder
Dhaka: The harsh treatment meted out to Grameen Bank founder Muhammad Yunus by government here has barred the outside world from recognising his country`s achievements, a Bangladeshi minster has quoted Amartya Sen as saying, prompting the India-born Nobel laureate to deny this.
According to Bangladesh Finance Minister A M A Muhith, Sen told him that "so many good things are happening in this country but they are not projected anywhere in the world only because of Prof Yunus," The Daily Star newspaper reported.
In a written reply to a query from the daily, Amartya said: "I am particularly surprised -- indeed astonished -- to see him (Muhith) attributing my view that is not mine."
"Indeed, the alleged utterance is not close to anything I told Muhith when we met briefly at the VIP lounge in the Bangkok Airport last month," Sen said.
He said he was not at all accusing fellow Nobel laureate Yunus of preventing the recognition and praise that Bangladesh deserves.
Sen also hoped Muhith would withdraw his wrong attribution to him about Yunus.
Muhith also retracted his statement, saying he had not quoted Sen.
"Amartya Sen did not make any such comment about Prof Yunus. It was my comment," he told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried