Arrest warrant issued for Pakistan ex-minister
Islamabad: Arrest warrants were today issued against Pakistan`s former commerce minister Makhdoom Amin Fahim and six others accused in a multi-billion-rupee insurance scam.
The warrants were issued by the Federal Anti-Corruption Court over the suspects` failure to appear before court in the National Insurance Company Limited (NICL) corruption case.
Fahim, who recently kicked off his election campaign by addressing a public meeting in Bhanote, faces disqualification if convicted in the case.
Accused Habibullah Warraich, Akram Warraich and Mohsin Habib Warraich allegedly owe Rs 420 million collectively to the NICL.
Rather than paying in cash, they provided 10 cheques to the NICL worth Rs 42 million each. One of these cheques bounced.
Following this Mohsin Warraich had fled to London, but he has decided to return to appear before the court.
The Supreme Court had remarked that the footprints of the financial irregularities that had been unearthed in hearings of the scandal could be traced back to the bank accounts of Fahim, Express News reported.
The court has directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to present all six suspects April 12.
A three-judge Supreme Court bench headed by Chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry is also hearing the NICL case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends