Arrest warrant issued for Pakistan ex-minister
Islamabad: Arrest warrants were today issued against Pakistan`s former commerce minister Makhdoom Amin Fahim and six others accused in a multi-billion-rupee insurance scam.
The warrants were issued by the Federal Anti-Corruption Court over the suspects` failure to appear before court in the National Insurance Company Limited (NICL) corruption case.
Fahim, who recently kicked off his election campaign by addressing a public meeting in Bhanote, faces disqualification if convicted in the case.
Accused Habibullah Warraich, Akram Warraich and Mohsin Habib Warraich allegedly owe Rs 420 million collectively to the NICL.
Rather than paying in cash, they provided 10 cheques to the NICL worth Rs 42 million each. One of these cheques bounced.
Following this Mohsin Warraich had fled to London, but he has decided to return to appear before the court.
The Supreme Court had remarked that the footprints of the financial irregularities that had been unearthed in hearings of the scandal could be traced back to the bank accounts of Fahim, Express News reported.
The court has directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to present all six suspects April 12.
A three-judge Supreme Court bench headed by Chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry is also hearing the NICL case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM