Asma Jehangir proposed for Punjab interim CM post
Lahore: After being dropped from the Pakistan Peoples Party`s list of candidates for the position of caretaker premier, rights activist Asma Jehangir has been proposed by the party for the post of interim Chief Minister of Punjab province.
The PPP, which is in the opposition in Punjab, a politically crucial province of 90 million, has named Jahangir, Dunya media group owner Mian Amer Mahmood and former bureaucrat Hafeez Akhtar Randhawa for the post of caretaker Chief Minister.
Raja Riaz, Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, has written a letter to Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif with the names of the PPP`s three candidates.
Jahangir`s name was earlier discussed for the post of caretaker premier but neither the PPP nor the PML-N could formally nominate her following strong opposition from Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf and some religious parties.
The rights activist blamed the security establishment for making her name controversial.
Chief Minister Sharif had nominated retired judge Amer Raza Khan and former federal secretary Khwaja Zaheer for the slot of caretaker Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up