Asma Jehangir proposed for Punjab interim CM post
Lahore: After being dropped from the Pakistan Peoples Party`s list of candidates for the position of caretaker premier, rights activist Asma Jehangir has been proposed by the party for the post of interim Chief Minister of Punjab province.
The PPP, which is in the opposition in Punjab, a politically crucial province of 90 million, has named Jahangir, Dunya media group owner Mian Amer Mahmood and former bureaucrat Hafeez Akhtar Randhawa for the post of caretaker Chief Minister.
Raja Riaz, Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, has written a letter to Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif with the names of the PPP`s three candidates.
Jahangir`s name was earlier discussed for the post of caretaker premier but neither the PPP nor the PML-N could formally nominate her following strong opposition from Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf and some religious parties.
The rights activist blamed the security establishment for making her name controversial.
Chief Minister Sharif had nominated retired judge Amer Raza Khan and former federal secretary Khwaja Zaheer for the slot of caretaker Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Anti-Donald Trump protests break out for second day in California
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers