Asma Jehangir proposed for Punjab interim CM post
Lahore: After being dropped from the Pakistan Peoples Party`s list of candidates for the position of caretaker premier, rights activist Asma Jehangir has been proposed by the party for the post of interim Chief Minister of Punjab province.
The PPP, which is in the opposition in Punjab, a politically crucial province of 90 million, has named Jahangir, Dunya media group owner Mian Amer Mahmood and former bureaucrat Hafeez Akhtar Randhawa for the post of caretaker Chief Minister.
Raja Riaz, Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, has written a letter to Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif with the names of the PPP`s three candidates.
Jahangir`s name was earlier discussed for the post of caretaker premier but neither the PPP nor the PML-N could formally nominate her following strong opposition from Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf and some religious parties.
The rights activist blamed the security establishment for making her name controversial.
Chief Minister Sharif had nominated retired judge Amer Raza Khan and former federal secretary Khwaja Zaheer for the slot of caretaker Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi