Asma Jehangir proposed for Punjab interim CM post
Lahore: After being dropped from the Pakistan Peoples Party`s list of candidates for the position of caretaker premier, rights activist Asma Jehangir has been proposed by the party for the post of interim Chief Minister of Punjab province.
The PPP, which is in the opposition in Punjab, a politically crucial province of 90 million, has named Jahangir, Dunya media group owner Mian Amer Mahmood and former bureaucrat Hafeez Akhtar Randhawa for the post of caretaker Chief Minister.
Raja Riaz, Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, has written a letter to Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif with the names of the PPP`s three candidates.
Jahangir`s name was earlier discussed for the post of caretaker premier but neither the PPP nor the PML-N could formally nominate her following strong opposition from Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf and some religious parties.
The rights activist blamed the security establishment for making her name controversial.
Chief Minister Sharif had nominated retired judge Amer Raza Khan and former federal secretary Khwaja Zaheer for the slot of caretaker Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened