At least 40 killed in Pakistan mosque attack
Rawalpindi: At least 40 people were killed on Friday when gunmen stormed a mosque near military barracks in Pakistan`s garrison city of Rawalpindi, detonating bombs and shooting at worshippers, the Interior Minister said.
"There were two suicide bombers and the roof of the mosque collapsed," Interior Minister Rehman Malik told the private ARY television channel.
"According to the information I received a few moments ago, above 40 were killed and there are so many people injured."
Army spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said that the mosque was situated on Parade Lane, an area frequented by military officers.
"More than one terrorist attacked. They exploded bombs inside the mosque.... There were shots fired but we don`t know whether it was from the military or the terrorists," he said.
"Terrorists were killed but we don`t yet know how many."
Security forces and ambulances could be seen rushing to the scene.
"We have got reports of firing and a grenade blast in Qasim market area in Rawalpindi," a rescue official said.
"We have dispatched ambulances to the site and are setting up a communication link. There is no report about casualties."
Pakistan`s Army launched a major offensive against Taliban militants in their stronghold of South Waziristan in October. Militants carried out a series of bombings which have killed hundreds since then. In October, suspected Taliban gunmen wearing army uniforms attacked the army headquarters in the garrison city of Rawalpindi.
The violence comes after US President Barack Obama urged Pakistan to crack down harder on militants operating along the border area to help put down a Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks