Bangladesh cartoonist gets jail sentence
Dhaka: A Bangladesh court on Thursday sentenced a
cartoonist to two months of rigorous imprisonment for "hurting
the religious feelings of the Muslim community".
Judge Kaisarul Islam of the Judicial Magistrate`s Court
of Jessore also slapped a fine of USD 7.40 on Arifur Rahman of
now-defunct satire magazine `Alpin`, a weekly of Bengali
newspaper Prothom Alo.
Rahman, 25, was tried in absence over the publication of
`sacrilegious` cartoon in the magazine in Sep 2007, which
sparked street clashes and riots in the capital Dhaka, the
"Arif is at large. The verdict was given in his absence,"
his lawyer Alamgir Siddiqi was quoted as saying by the online
However, Arif said that he knew nothing about this case.
He said treason and blasphemy cases against him have been
dismissed in court.
The case filed by ATM Shoaib, the imam of the Jessore
Collectorate Mosque, alleged that the irreverent cartoon on
Prophet Muhammad had hurt religious feelings, the paper said.
Authorities charged the young cartoonist with "hurting
the religious sentiments of the people" and ordered 30 days`
detention. Arif`s detention was later extended by three
Thousands of people defied a ban on protests to march
against the cartoon, forcing the newspaper`s editor to
publicly apologise and sack Rahman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested