B`desh seeks Chinese assistance for deep sea port
Dhaka: After developing a strategic
Gwadar Port in the Arabian Sea for Pakistan, China has offered
assistance to develop a deep sea port in the Bay of Bengal for
The Chinese help is a part of an understanding reached
out between the two countries during Prime Minister Sheikh
Hasina`s visit to the Communist nation last year.
"We`re serious about our proposal (on deep sea port)
and the Chinese government has reassured its cooperation,"
Foreign Secretary Mijarul Quayes told mediapersons yesterday.
He said the government was preparing the proposal
framework for the construction of Sonadia deep sea port in Cox
Bazar district of Chittagong division.
Chinese vice-president Xi Jinping last week assured
Dhaka of its assistance during a meeting with Bangladesh
Foreign Minister Dipu Moni in Beijing.
Quayes said Dhaka was working on the proposal with a
structural design for the deep sea project in the Bay of
Bengal but "it has not been finalised yet".
The Foreign Secretary said China offered RMB 150
million to Bangladesh for the country’s socio-economic
development and assured Dhaka of China`s cooperation in
constructing the deep sea port.
He said Dhaka has decided to set up consular office in
Kunming as Kunming-Chittagong link through Myanmar was on card
to set up trans-regional connectivity.
"We have close relations with China," the top diplomat
However, Quayes said no country has made any
commitment for any grant as Bangladesh is yet to provide a
proposal on the project.
Gwadar Port is being constructed in two phases with
heavy investment from China. The Port is a developing
warm-water, deep-sea port situated at Gwadar in Baluchistan
province of Pakistan at the apex of the Arabian Sea and at the
entrance of the Persian Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!