Bilawal against premature release of Benazir assassination report
Islamabad: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has said that the premature release of the Benazir Bhutto assassination investigation report could legally sabotage the ongoing case.
Addressing the party’s Central Executive Committee (CEC), Bilawal said: “The premature release of the report could also allow the conspirators - who may not be confined to our borders - to permanently deprive the people of Pakistan and citizens of the world of the truth they deserve.”
He further advised CEC members to appoint a limited number of its most senior members to have a full and complete briefing of the entire investigation report.
“Given the complexities of this conspiracy, this committee of senior members can advise us on how to proceed with the publication of the report. It will decide what information can responsibly be released to satisfy the desire of our supporters for information,” the Daily Times quoted Bilawal, as saying.
The PPP chairman also said that there was a need to proceed with caution on the report, as the assassination’s circumstances were far more complicated.
“Everyone directly involved, who could be arrested and are still alive have been taken into custody,” Bilawal said.
“The report also raises many questions and after having read everything it is easy to conclude that this was a grand conspiracy. It was a conspiracy to rob Pakistan of its best hope to establish a fully functional democracy,” he added.
The former prime minister was targeted in a gun and bomb attack as she was leaving Liaqat Bagh in Rawalpindi after addressing a public rally on December 27, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!