Blast rocks Kabul hours before intl conference
Kabul: An explosion rocked Kabul Tuesday morning hours before a major international conference is slated to be held in the Afghan capital.
Witnesses in northern outskirts of Kabul said they heard the explosion, but Afghan security officials were not available for comment.
At least four explosions were also heard near city`s international airport Monday night, but there were not reports of casualties.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, who was speaking from an undisclosed location, said that their fighters had fired four rockets at the airport. He said the power of the airport was cut as the rockets triggered "heavy explosions".
He could not say if there had been any casualties.
Nearly 70 international representatives are to participate in the Kabul Conference, which will endorse new development projects and transfer more aid money and responsibility to the Afghan administration.
The delegates include representatives from 57 countries and 11 regional and international organisations.
Most of the nearly 40 foreign ministers, including US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, arrived in Kabul Monday. President Hamid Karzai already met several of the foreign dignitaries, his office said.
Security was tightened around the capital city Monday following a Taliban suicide attack Sunday that killed three civilians and injured 45 others.
Several roads, including the one linking the city`s international airport to the conference venue remained closed for traffic. The government also declared Monday and Tuesday public holidays in Kabul.
Thousands of security personnel have been deployed around the city, while NATO said t was ready to help with protection if asked. NATO helicopters were also on patrol.
The delegates are to deliberate and endorse 15 socio-economic development national priority programmes drawn up by the Afghan government, while they are also expected to endorse a peace plan by the Afghan government to reintegrate Taliban fighters into civilian life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon