BNP leader remanded to six-day police custody
Dhaka: Detained Bangladeshi ex-junior
minister and BNP politician Lutfuzzaman Babar was on Thursday
remanded in police custody for six days for his alleged role
in the 2005 murder of a prominent leader of Awami League.
Shah AMS Kibria, the high profile leader of Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina’s now ruling Awami League, was killed
in a grenade attack on January 27, 2005 as he was addressing a
public rally at his constituency in Habiganj.
Police and court officials said a court in
north-eastern Habiganj ordered Babar to be interrogated in
custody on a police prayer as he was escorted to the court
complex under heavy police escort.
"Judicial Magistrate Rajib Kumar Biswas granted the
six days time against the police prayer for 10 days after two
hours of hearing" a court official told agency as he was reached
here by phone.
The incident sparked international condemnation but
the subsequent police investigations visibly yielded little
results while Awami League was long been alleging that the
past BNP-led four party regime tried to influence the probe
process to save the "real culprits".
Babar was suspected to have masterminded several
other attacks including the August 21, 2004 grenade attack on
Hasina while she was the opposition leader.
Police earlier said they suspected Babar as the
mastermind of the deadly attack narrowly escaped by Hasina
while a report claim that several other influential BNP
leaders were involved in the plot, while banned Harkatul Jihad
(HuJI) was used to carryout the assassination plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand