Cold kills 24 kids in Afghan province
Kabul: Twenty four children have died over the past four days in Badakhshan province due to snowfall, chilly weather and cold-related diseases, an official said Wednesday.
"Continued freezing weather, snowfall and cold-related diseases have claimed the lives of 24 innocent children in Raghistan and Yawan districts over the past four days," Zabihullah Atiq, an official, said.
Badakhshan province is located 315 km northeast of capital Kabul.
Atiq said 13 children died in Bashan village of Raghistan district while 11 died in Darang village of Yawan district due to cold weather and lack of health services.
In some places, snow is piled 2.5 metres high and the affected villagers need to walk two hours to reach the health centres, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding