Cold kills 24 kids in Afghan province
Kabul: Twenty four children have died over the past four days in Badakhshan province due to snowfall, chilly weather and cold-related diseases, an official said Wednesday.
"Continued freezing weather, snowfall and cold-related diseases have claimed the lives of 24 innocent children in Raghistan and Yawan districts over the past four days," Zabihullah Atiq, an official, said.
Badakhshan province is located 315 km northeast of capital Kabul.
Atiq said 13 children died in Bashan village of Raghistan district while 11 died in Darang village of Yawan district due to cold weather and lack of health services.
In some places, snow is piled 2.5 metres high and the affected villagers need to walk two hours to reach the health centres, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender