Dual nationality case: Mailk fails to present docs
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik on Monday failed to provide documents proving he has renounced his British nationality to the Supreme Court, which was hearing a petition against lawmakers holding dual citizenship.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry rejected several documents submitted by Malik`s counsel Anwar Mansur and directed him to produce a declaration issued by the UK Border Agency regarding the renunciation of his British citizenship.
Malik`s counsel produced his passport, issued in 2008, and said that if Malik had been a British national, he would have not been travelling on a Pakistani passport.
The Chief Justice directed the counsel to present the relevant papers verified by British authorities. The counsel then informed the bench that these documents were currently not available.
Mansur further said Malik had renounced his British nationality in April 2008 and that the renouncement fee had been paid from the account of his wife Saeeda Rehman.
The bench said such matters were irrelevant and again directed Malik`s counsel to either produce the declaration from the British agency or a duplicate.
Waheed Anjum, who filed the petition, submitted documents which he said showed that a provincial legislator had US citizenship.
The apex court directed the Federal Investigation Agency to verify these documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!