Eight Awami activists sentenced to death in B`desh for murder
Dhaka: Eight activists of the Awami League were awarded death penalty and 13 others were given life terms by a Bangladeshi court for the murder of a tailor during an opposition enforced blockade last year.
"They (the eight) will be hanged to death until they are dead," pronounced speedy trial tribunal-4 judge ABM Nizamul Haque at the packed courtroom as six convicts appeared in the dock.
Two other death penalty convicts and 11 of the 13, who were awarded the life term, were tried in absentia as they were on the run to evade the justice.
Under the Bangladesh law, the High Court must review death penalties even if the convicts do not appeal against the lower court verdicts.
The Chhatra League activists hacked to death the 24-year-old tailor, Biswajit Das, on the street in Old Dhaka`s Bahadur Shah Park area on December 9 last year during the opposition enforced blockade.
Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) is the student front of the Awami League.
Sutrapur police filed a murder case in this regard on the same day. On June 2, charges were framed against the 21 Chhatra League activists.
The murder drew flack on the then ruling Awami League.
Reacting to the verdict, Das`s brother said, "I am satisfied...We got the justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note