Eight Awami activists sentenced to death in B`desh for murder
Dhaka: Eight activists of the Awami League were awarded death penalty and 13 others were given life terms by a Bangladeshi court for the murder of a tailor during an opposition enforced blockade last year.
"They (the eight) will be hanged to death until they are dead," pronounced speedy trial tribunal-4 judge ABM Nizamul Haque at the packed courtroom as six convicts appeared in the dock.
Two other death penalty convicts and 11 of the 13, who were awarded the life term, were tried in absentia as they were on the run to evade the justice.
Under the Bangladesh law, the High Court must review death penalties even if the convicts do not appeal against the lower court verdicts.
The Chhatra League activists hacked to death the 24-year-old tailor, Biswajit Das, on the street in Old Dhaka`s Bahadur Shah Park area on December 9 last year during the opposition enforced blockade.
Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) is the student front of the Awami League.
Sutrapur police filed a murder case in this regard on the same day. On June 2, charges were framed against the 21 Chhatra League activists.
The murder drew flack on the then ruling Awami League.
Reacting to the verdict, Das`s brother said, "I am satisfied...We got the justice.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know