Eight security personnel killed in suicide attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: Eight security personnel were killed and over a dozen others injured when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a check post in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan on Saturday.
The attacker targeted the Esha check post near Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, this evening, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Six security personnel were killed instantly and two more died later. Over a dozen others were injured, the officials said.
Troops cordoned off the area after the attack and launched a search operation. Local residents said the blast was followed by firing though it was not possible to ascertain who opened fire.
North Waziristan is considered a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam