Eight security personnel killed in suicide attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: Eight security personnel were killed and over a dozen others injured when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a check post in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan on Saturday.
The attacker targeted the Esha check post near Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, this evening, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Six security personnel were killed instantly and two more died later. Over a dozen others were injured, the officials said.
Troops cordoned off the area after the attack and launched a search operation. Local residents said the blast was followed by firing though it was not possible to ascertain who opened fire.
North Waziristan is considered a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet