Five get death for Saudi diplomat`s murder in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A court here Sunday awarded death penalty to five people for the murder of Saudi diplomat Khalaf Al Ali, Xinhua reported.
Of the condemned killers, four are behind the bars while one is on the run. The punishment of the only fugitive will be effective from the day of his arrest or surrender, said Judge Mohammad Motahar Hossain of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 in Dhaka while announcing the verdict.
The 45-year-old diplomat, a second secretary at the Royal Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Dhaka, was shot dead near his Gulshan house in Dhaka`s diplomatic enclave in the early hours of March 6.
This is the first time a foreign diplomat was murdered in the Muslim-majority nation which enjoys good relations with Saudi Arabia where over two million workers from the South Asian nation are living and working.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference