Five get death for Saudi diplomat`s murder in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A court here Sunday awarded death penalty to five people for the murder of Saudi diplomat Khalaf Al Ali, Xinhua reported.
Of the condemned killers, four are behind the bars while one is on the run. The punishment of the only fugitive will be effective from the day of his arrest or surrender, said Judge Mohammad Motahar Hossain of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 in Dhaka while announcing the verdict.
The 45-year-old diplomat, a second secretary at the Royal Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Dhaka, was shot dead near his Gulshan house in Dhaka`s diplomatic enclave in the early hours of March 6.
This is the first time a foreign diplomat was murdered in the Muslim-majority nation which enjoys good relations with Saudi Arabia where over two million workers from the South Asian nation are living and working.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16