Five get death for Saudi diplomat`s murder in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A court here Sunday awarded death penalty to five people for the murder of Saudi diplomat Khalaf Al Ali, Xinhua reported.
Of the condemned killers, four are behind the bars while one is on the run. The punishment of the only fugitive will be effective from the day of his arrest or surrender, said Judge Mohammad Motahar Hossain of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 in Dhaka while announcing the verdict.
The 45-year-old diplomat, a second secretary at the Royal Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Dhaka, was shot dead near his Gulshan house in Dhaka`s diplomatic enclave in the early hours of March 6.
This is the first time a foreign diplomat was murdered in the Muslim-majority nation which enjoys good relations with Saudi Arabia where over two million workers from the South Asian nation are living and working.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'