Fonseka provided exercise equipment in jail after court order
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities have
provided equipment for exercise to the now-jailed former army
chief Sarath Fonseka after the court ordered that he be
provided adequate facilities to maintain his health.
Prison officials said they have handed over an
exercise machine given by a well wisher to the former general
who is now serving 30 months rigorous jail term after being
convicted by a court martial on charges of dabbling into
politics while in uniform and corruption.
The move came after a court ordered that the general
be provided adequate facilities to maintain his health.
The former army chief has been attached to cleaning
work of the prison premises and allowed to exercise thrice a
The prison department has also repaired the roof of
his cell, which was leaking during heavy rains, officials
Fonseka carries multiple injuries by a failed suicide
bomb attack on him in April 2006.
He ran for the presidential election in early this
year as the common opposition candidate against President
Fonseka was arrested and tried after the election that
Rajapaksa won with a thumping majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India