Fonseka vows to bring law to protect mediapersons
Colombo: Sarath Fonseka, who is seeking to unseat President Mahinda Rajapaksa in the presidential elections, promised a new legislation for the protection of mediapersons, as he prepared to file his nomination papers for next month`s polls.
"If elected I will bring in a law for the welfare and
protection of the media," said Fonseka, who retired from the
army last month to challenge Rajapaksa as the common candidate
of the main opposition parties. He promised full media freedom
if elected to the top post.
Fonseka, who today signed his nomination papers to be
submitted on December 17, said the law for the protection and
welfare of the media would be introduced in Parliament for
"I am promising necessary action and safeguards will
be taken to ensure security and protection of mediapersons,"
Fonseka told a group of mediapersons last evening.
Meanwhile, Fonseka who will lock horns with the
incumbent President for the January 26 polls, signed his
nominations papers this morning here.
Fonseka will be contesting under the symbol of `Swan`
of the New Democratic Front and would be submitting his
nomination papers on December 17.
Fonseka yesterday filed three fundamental rights
applications against some state media institutions for the
alleged misuse of public media.
He accused some state run electronic media
institutions of using the media for supporting President
Rajapaksa at the forthcoming election and defaming the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?